Sunday 6 October 2013

EDEL20003 Reflection

For the purposes of my reflection my mobile learning context will cover my own learning as a student, workplace practices in a public library context and potentially teaching Library & Information Management students at University level.  In analysing I have compared functions with similar tasks I have performed in previous courses EDEL20001 and EDEL20002 and they have given me a benchmark to measure the ability and effectiveness of the mobile device functions.  In the previous courses I used blogs extensively for journaling and reflection and curation tools such as scoop.it and twitter. I have similar apps installed on my device. The device in use for my mobile learning is an android tablet.

The three considerations I will address that I believe have particular application for mobile learning in my context are: fits into the lives of learners; reduces technical barriers to e-learning; and allows data to be recorded and learning processed captured wherever they happen.  I did find that many of the considerations overlap, for example, portability overlaps with fits into the lives of learners and this will be reflected in my blog post.

Fits into the lives of learners
One of the best attributes of mobile learning is its ability to fit into the lives of learners by making use of ‘dead time’.  In my context that could mean sitting in the waiting room for appointments, in the lunch break at work, staying overnight away from home, at conferences, having a cup of coffee at a cafe or travelling and allows for greater flexibility and learner centred learning. The installed note on my device has a drive mode function that allows text or notes to be read aloud while travelling. ‘Dead time’ can be used to download information for study later; jotting down notes, thoughts  and reminders as they occur; editing or adding to documents , send links and emails;  and for reading study notes. Its portability allows for anywhere, anytime learning.  The ability to store and access documents in cloud storage via tools such as Dropbox adds to the anywhere, anytime capabilities.  One possible limitation is that as the device in use is an 8 inch tablet which may not support waiting in queues with the same ease as a smartphone nor as is it as portable, for example it could be awkward to carry when going for a walk.  In a library context the ability to download e-books and e-audios via Borrow Box means you can access these 24/7 wherever you are in the world.  This consideration works well for remembering, understanding, collaborating, and creating. In my personal experience I found some functions of the device such as Note, Camera, Blogger apps, Chat, Twitter app, Gmail and Borrow Box particularly work well for using in ‘dead time’.  It allows for the ability to switch between types of learning tasks (Wong 2012) including communication, data sharing (collaboration) and data collection. 

Reduces technical barriers to e-learning
Most of the native apps and installed apps automatically reduce the number of actions needed to perform tasks. For example Blogger apps, Twitter apps are set up so there is no need to log in, they have the ability to be shared easily with via other apps including email, blogger, twitter or cloud storage, most of the work is done for you.  The native note app has several templates to make note creation easier. The ability to synchronise data through cloud storage facilities such as DropBox allows for seamless learning (Wong 2012) allowing for learning across locations and across different devices. I chose Dropbox for its total ease of use that it allowed for many different formats.  However I did find it difficult to use my mobile device to create or modify my tangible benefits table in my chosen application Kingsoft Office software as I found it difficult to navigate around the table easily and it became terribly time consuming.  For this reason some of the more difficult documents to create I felt best created on my home computer but could still access on my device via Dropbox. I had chosen this software because it was its interface was similar to MS Office and documents could be created and edited offline.  I was able to navigate the table easily using Quick office but this app lacked some of the more creative features of  Kingsoft Office.  The Borrow Box app once installed was easy to use, linking straight to the library site and downloading was very simple.

Allows data to be recorded and learning processed captured wherever they happen
I felt this consideration to overlap with ‘contextualisation through location aware features such as GPS.  An example created in an earlier blog post was to take a photo out in the field. The camera and device both have GPS capability.  In a public library context this is ideal for local studies and can be used in conjunction with an app such as History Pin. Many libraries conduct walking history tours and this app allows information and photos to be brought up for any chosen location, any that have been uploaded to History Pin site. In my example I have taken photos of memorials to WWI and WWII soldiers that were killed in action and came from that particular small town.  On site I would be able to upload this to a History Pin site, add links to other related information and incorporate this into a document with information about the history and current information of the chosen small town.  If at a conference or workshop data can be recorded as they happen, videos or photos can be taken of real life work situations, events held at the library, or on study visits and practicums.  This allows for real-life learning, context aware learning, learning across locations where students are not tied to home or office and combines data from the digital and physical world (Wong 2012). It encourages learner centred independent learning, inquiry, and creativity thus allowing students to take their learning beyond the curriculum. 

Conclusion
While experimenting with different apps and features of the device I found what worked best for me was to using a combination of apps.  For my blog postings I used blogger, and bloggeroid and was also able to access blogger via the internet on my device. For creating word documents I used a combination of a native app and installed apps and often performed different word tasks across different apps as some performed some tasks better than others, so it wasn’t unusual for one document to be used across three different word apps and also created across several devices. Koole (p29) suggests that if users are not able to perform some tasks they may lose confidence in the device so ease of use and reducing technical barriers would be a main concern when choosing apps and tasks for mobile learning. I found some tasks to be time consuming and much easier to do on my laptop.  This may change with more familiarisation with the app or improved apps developed over time to overcome these problems. The things I really enjoyed when using my device was the ease of use for most apps especially the sharing and accessing capabilities, the intuitiveness and the ability to use it out in the  field for some real life learning.  I also enjoyed the input accessibility features including handwritten to text, ability to record voice memos, and the stylus pen.  One feature I found particularly useful was the screen capture tool which I found helped bypass a lot of technical difficulties that I might have otherwise experienced. 

 References

Mobile InfoKit- Accessed 30 September 2013

Koole, Marguerite L. (2009) A Model for Framing Mobile Accessed 30 September 2013
http://cguevara.commons.gc.cuny.edu/files/2009/09/A-Model-for-Framing-Mobile-Learning.pdf

Wong, L (2012). A learner-centric view of mobile seamless learning. British Journal of Educational Technology, 43 (1), 19-23. Accessed via Moodle.cqu.edu.au Edel2003 Topic 6










No comments:

Post a Comment